Thursday, February 4, 2010

Tagging and Delicious

I already was a heavy user of delicious and I love it! After I learned a little more about tagging, I started tagging on my delicious account. Now every time I save a new bookmark I use tags to group my bookmarks, and I'm able to find them faster. I think in the library world using tags is very important because it reflects more of the subject headings that a patron would use. The subject headings used by the Library of Congress are not necessarily what a patron would use to look for a subject. For example, I typed feelings in our catalog to find books for story time, and I got about 3 books. I typed emotions and I found a greater amount of books related to this topic. As a patron however, I chose the word feelings first. I think tagging could be used to complement subject heading not to replace them. I have about 40 bookmarks in my delicious account already! Would you like to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment